|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||2 hours|
|Passive Time||5 hours for cooling|
cake (12 servings each)
For the Crust
- 4 oz graham crackers (or digestive biscuits)
- 4 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2.5 tablespoon sugar, white granulated
- 0.5 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
For the Filling
- 24 oz cream cheese
- 16 oz sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 7 oz sugar, white granulated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Crust
For the Filling
Prepare the Ingredients
- If chilled, allow the eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Get the ingredients ready by weighing & measuring them into separate bowls.
- For the butter, weigh the butter into the microwave-safe bowl, cover loosely with cling wrap and slowly heat the butter in the microwave for 10 seconds on high at a time until the butter has almost fully melted (let the residual heat in the butter melt the rest).
- In another bowl, beat the eggs slightly with the table fork or wire whisk.
Make the Crust
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In a mixing bowl and using a wooden spoon, crush the graham crackers into fine crumbs and then mix in the ground ginger, 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar and melted butter. Pour the mixture into the pan and press it into a uniform layer on the bottom of the pan. Chill the crust in the
Make the Filling
- Add the cream cheese into another mixing bowl along with the 1 cup sugar and vanilla and beat with the stand mixer or hand mixer at low speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating at medium speed until thoroughly combined and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add the sour cream and beat at low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Place the pan with the crust onto the middle of the rectangular baking pan and pour the filling into the pan.
- Bake for 1 3/4 to 2 hours or until the filling around the sides (about 2 1/2 inches or 6.4 cm from the edge) appears to have been set when shaken gently, turning the pan around halfway through the baking.
- Cool the springform pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Gently loosen the edge of the cheesecake from around the sides of the pan using the small knife and then gently remove the sides of the springform pan and allow the cheesecake to cool completely.
- Transfer the cheesecake into the refrigerator and chill it for at least 4 hours before cutting and serving the cheesecake.
Equipment Required (in order of use)
- Up to 8 extra bowls to hold the ingredients (with at least one that is microwave safe)
- Kitchen weighing scale (preferably digital)
- Measuring spoons & cups
- Table fork or wire whisk
- 2 mixing bowls
- Wooden spoon
- 8-9-inch (20-23 cm) springform cake pan
- Stand mixer or hand mixer with wire whisk attachment
- Rectangular baking pan large enough to hold the springform cake pan
- Convection oven
- Oven mitts
- Wire rack
- Small knife